Parents know that trying to organise anything with your children can be a challenging experience. Moving home will probably be one of you kids’ biggest life changes in their early years, so it’s important to get organised and help smooth the transition for them.
While your professional removal company will carry out all the packing and heavy lifting for you, how can you prepare your children for the big move? Here are our top tips for moving and settling in with kids:
- Pack a moving day rucksack with snacks and entertainment to keep them occupied throughout the move.
- Allow your children to feel settled in by helping them set up their room first.
- Let your children pick paint colours and new bedding for their room, to help them get excited about their personal space in your new home.
- To minimise the anxiety of acclimatising to their new environment, try to keep to the same time schedule to help them adjust quickly, e.g. for meals and bedtime.
- Help your kids to find new playmates in the area by introducing them to the neighbours and signing them up to after-school clubs.
- If possible, pay visits to your childrens’ new school to help them get acclimatised to their new environment before term starts.
- Get involved in parent clubs, either online or locally to your new home, to discover the best kids activities in your new neighbourhood.
- And of course, don’t forget to childproof your new home!
Ready to move? Pickfords covers every postcode in the UK and move families overseas every day. Visit our Moving Advice Centre for more helpful hints and tips, request a call back or get a quote from our website.